Radicalnews

Revolution through Evolution

Amazon India attempts to rebrand Indian “Kirana Stores” with Kirana Now

Blue painted weighing machines,sacks overflowing with spices,wooden compartments with varied household items,candyjars,packets of chips and so on-This somewhat sums up an Indian Kirana store,which has become a less glamorous player after supermarkets hogged the limelight. Fortunately,Amazon India is here with Kirana Now-an India-specific innovation,build particularly for the local market,which is a by India,for India service aimed to take the local Kirana stores online.

Kirana Now is a mobile-only platform that primarily aims at quick delivery of consumer need products from the neighbourhood store;providing maximum convenience to customers when shopping for their everyday needs and enabling them to shop from the ecosystem of their local stores on their mobiles and getting things delivered when they really need it.Amazon plans to accomplish the same using its own logistics ,the neighbourhood store’s staff,or one of its logistics partners.

Amazon India has initially piloted its hyperlocal delivery service in Bengaluru and plans to scale it nationally hereafter.Kirana Now will take on the likes of rising players like BigBasket and Local Banya.But unlike their delivery time of “a day or two”,Kirana Now offers a way better delivery time of “2 to 4 hours”.Amazon,in some way,wants the Kirana stores to be an extension of its network.Last year,it had started using these Kirana stores as its delivery and pick-up points too.The global e-commerce giant embarks upon empowering the growth of millions of small and medium businesses in India. In keeping up with its “marketplace” model in India,Amazon will list out these stores just like other sellers on its site.In a press release,Amazon India spokesperson reiterated the company’s mission to “transform the way India shops and the way India sells”.

India is the world’s sixth largest grocery market in the world pegged at $360 billion with modern retail hovering at around 20 percent of this market while the rest 80 percent is controlled by conventional “Kirana store” retail.The online grocery market is in infancy right now in India.Prima facie,the service looks quite good,however,a lot will depend on how these stores price their goods,considering the price-drop and discounting tricks employed by online retailers in a bid to lure customers.

Sakshi Shukla

I am someone who is always up for new experiences. Music and arts are my muses,while coding and philosophy transport me to another world.I silently observe occurrences around me,try to decipher them inch by inch and then pen them down whilst imagining it as if it were a movie.